From acne creams to derm visits, nothing could seem to stop acne. But we need to address the root cause of acne to stop it for good.
What causes acne?
1. The gut-brain-skin connectionWhat does the gut or brain have to do with acne and skin health? More than we realize, our gut, brain, and skin are intimately connected. We notice that our skin reacts when we undergo stressful situations. For example, we get red flushes on our face when we are embarrassed. Or we get breakouts during a stressful week. These are clear indications of the “brain-skin connection”.
Our gut is deemed to be our ‘second brain’. The Gastric Intestinal tract (GI) can actually influence our mood, feelings, behavior, and even our thinking. Many studies have proven this connection. (1) A healthy gut promotes a happy disposition; while gut imbalance has been linked to depression and other emotional issues. As we know, emotional imbalance or too much stress may worsen acne.
2. AntibioticsDue to the gut-brain-skin connection, antibiotics also impact our digestive health. They kill the good bacteria in the gut. This leads to gut imbalance and soon terrible breakouts.
3. High carbs-sugar diet
There’s solid proof that diets loaded with refined sugars and carbohydrates are one of the root causes of acne. (2) According to a study published in the 2007 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, participants with acne were showing significant improvement in their skin and insulin sensitivity after a low glycemic load diet.
Tips to improve severe acne:1. Limit or eliminate sugars and grains - Eliminating or at least reducing the amount of sugar or carb-rich foods in our regular diet will make a big difference our skin’s appearance.
2. Drink lots of water - Hydration is another way of improving our skin's condition. It prevents dryness, inflammation, and it naturally moisturize the skin. Fresh water can promote skin cell renewal, waste or toxin secretion, and natural skin exfoliation.
3. Take probiotics - This is important especially if you've been previously on antibiotics. Taking a good probiotic supplement can help reestablish healthy gut flora. You can also opt for naturally fermented foods such as yogurt to restore gut balance.
4. Get enough sleep - ‘Beauty sleep’ isn’t a popular phrase for no reason. Sleeping can reduce stress, help renew and repair cells, and therefore can clear your face from acne.
5. Retinol - Retinol or vitamin A is one of the best acne remedies. Both topical and oral retinoids are an effective treatment for severe acne and other major skin problems including psoriasis. This vitamin is a powerful antioxidant that help rid your skin of infections as well as promote skin renewal for a more youthful glow and complexion.
Apply the above tips today to see a world of difference in your skin and complexion.